- National Chairman of the Sierra Club Wilderness Committee presents to the Cincy Audubon Society
- Kings Run Sewer Overflow Update from MSDGC
- Annual Picnic Sunday August 10th
- Newtown pans “new SR 32 route”
- Citizens Hearing
- The Emerging Clean Energy Edge
- New Stormwater Separation Policy Sewer District of Greater Cincinnati passes !
- Sierra Club distributed 100 rain barrels this spring!
- EarthSpirit Rising
- Call for nominations for ExCom
Petition to resume the improvements of Hamilton County’s sewers
Posted on March 13th, 2014
PLEASE HELP RESUME IMPROVEMENTS OF OUR SEWER SYSTEM BY SIGNING THIS PETITION TO THE HAMILTON COUNTY BOARD
The Sierra Club’s Miami Group has been working for over a decade to get the Metropolitan Sewer District (MSD) to improve its antiquated sewer system that combines sewage and rainwater runoff, resulting in overflows into our rivers and people’s basements.
Despite a court order, MSD’s progress has been agonizingly slow. This past year, new construction contracts were stopped by the Hamilton County Commissioners over Cincinnati’s Responsible Bidder ordinance. After studying the issue, the Miami Group’s Executive Committee (ExCom) decided that the Responsible Bidder requirements would benefit the environment in the long run, as well as bring good new construction jobs to the region.
In order to resume construction on the much-needed sewer improvements, the Miami Group joined the BUILD 513 coalition with the Laborers’ International Union, the Baptist Ministers Conference, the Ohio Justice and Policy Center, and other community groups in a campaign with three long-term goals:
• Clean rivers from green sewers
• Good sewer construction jobs thru Responsible Bidder
• Affordable sewer rates thru a progressive rate structure
BUILD 513′s immediate goal is to get the Hamilton County Board to release MSD’s construction funds so work can resume on the improved sewer system.
You can help by signing and circulating the BUILD 513 PETITION-Release the funds. Mail or FAX the signed petitions by March 19 to:
Laborers’ International Union
2135 Dana Ave, Suite 240
Cincinnati, Ohio 45207
You can also sign the petition online by clicking on the petition. BUILD 513 will deliver all signed petitions to the Hamilton County Commissioners on March 21.
Thanks for helping us protect our environment,
Chair, Miami Group Executive Committee